4K 80Amp Alternator Upgrade!

Evan G

Members dont see this ad

14.5 volts times 80amps takes out 1.16KW....

So you can see further with your headlights, but not drive as fast to get there!! :laff:

Nice work Evan!

You're only adding 40-45A though (as the Denso is 35A, Bosch 40A), so your additional power loss is more like 0.6kw.

Funnily enough, this has been in the FAQ for some time (although I don't recall the VL reference being there all the time)

Rollaclub FAQ - K-series alternator

True, but there's no write-up of how to do it. Its just a tiny

However, here's the beauty part. Bosch design all their alternators with the same rear housing, just with different front housings to suit the motor they are intended for. So you can buy yourself a 60A Ford Falcon alternator, or an 80A VL Turbo alternator, and rebuild it with a Bosch KE front housing and longer stator bolts, and whack it straight onto your K motor. If you want to underdrive the alternator (say you're bulding a big-rpm race motor) use a Mitsubishi Sigma front pulley.

bit of what you do.

Its a good write-up. You get my rep Mr E :jamie:

True, but there's no write-up of how to do it. Its just a tiny

bit of what you do.

Its a good write-up. You get my rep Mr E :jamie:

However, here's the beauty part. Bosch design all their alternators with the same rear housing, just with different front housings to suit the motor they are intended for. So you can buy yourself a 60A Ford Falcon alternator, or an 80A VL Turbo alternator, and rebuild it with a Bosch KE front housing and longer stator bolts, and whack it straight onto your K motor. If you want to underdrive the alternator (say you're bulding a big-rpm race motor) use a Mitsubishi Sigma front pulley.

in the FAQ it just tells you to change the front cover over to the vl alternator, THIS IS FALSE!, all the vl internals must be fitted in the corolla shell

Edited by Evan G

I suspect the list of donors could be considerably longer. There would be a lot of euro cars out there with Bosch alternators in the 60 - 80W range.

Recently found a brand new 60W Bosch alternator at our local wrecker in an Alfetta. This will probably end up in the KE15, as 80W is probably overkill for that. I plan on looking at the various 80's/90's BMW's to see what they have too.

• 2 weeks later...