Girlfriends New Car Suggestion

ke70dave

Morning folks.

a bit of a interesting topic here.

girlfriend currently has a toyota lexcen (VR commondore wannabe) and although it will go forever (after i replace the alternator that died yesty...), its a bit of a heap of junk. so we think its time for an upgrade.

so i thought i would open it to suggestions from rollaclub!

requirements are as follows:

-around $6000

-4 doors

-4clr

-fuel economical (80mins of driving each day to her work)

-easy to fix, and available parts.

-smallish, but enough space for 4 people on occasion.

-all the mod cons (powersteering, aircon, airbags)

-a little quicker than most in its class, i don't want a 1.5L econobox.

-a little sporty, but not over the top.

-fun for me to drive so i can leave the WRX at home on boring trips.

i am thinking something along the lines of a mazda 323 SP20.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/mazda-323-2002-11992106?cr=1&vertical=Car&Range=Price:Min,Max~1&silo=Stock&sort=default&eapi=2&__N=1216%201246%201247%201252%201282%204294965340%204294964064%20900&distance=25&find=sp20|CarAll

2L BP engine has a fair amount of grunt, nice cars too, plenty of mod cons.

ok go!

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably the best pick. I hate to suggest a Ford, but does that stubby Ford Focus get down that low? They seem to be very drivable, and to my amazment a mate's one has given him no trouble when living in Gisbourne and working in Wanganui on the other side of the North Island.

I myself would stick to Corolla or Pulsar, but that's my experiences.

I can vouch for the 323 SP20 as being a very sporty feeling car, great handling, looks nice, comfy seats, excellent steering wheel by the way (Nardi from factory).

But it does lack in power. The motor only puts out about 180 HP (factory stated but in reality about 170).

An AE82 Twincam hatch would out accelerate it simply because of power to weight. In fact my KE55 5KE gets to 70 faster up a hill but not by much, about 10 meters road distance.

Although it isn't that quick it is still really fun to drive as it has phenomenal grip and ability to carry speed round a corner.

Add unequal length extractors and it sounds like a WRX. Air-con in it is good, light steering and sure footed.

Just don't expect it to be a power house. But.... It does really good on fuel.

How do I know? I have one! Canary yellow, stands out yet people still cut me off.

hmmmm thanks for the replies folks.

i also considered the pulsar of the same vintage, which would probably fine, i just don't like the look:P

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/nissan-pulsar-2002-12026340?vertical=Car&cr=6&eapi=2&__N=1216%201246%201247%201252%201282%204294963846%204294963786%20900&distance=25&silo=Stock&Range=Price:5000,7500~1&sort=default

N16 1.8L, not a bad looking interiour, bit of a bubble on the outside though!

corolla of the same vintage might be alright, i find the build quality on the toyota interiours isnt up to scratch compared to the mazdas though. 2008 corolla interiour is so plastic and horrible. whole thing creeks and clunks with normal driving!

New 86, hmmmmm $40k is close to $6k.

4wd would be cool, but probably a bit too big really...

i considered a little 4wd, suzuki jimni, 2 door pajero....

I can vouch for the 323 SP20 as being a very sporty feeling car, great handling, looks nice, comfy seats, excellent steering wheel by the way (Nardi from factory).

But it does lack in power. The motor only puts out about 180 HP (factory stated but in reality about 170).

How do I know? I have one! Canary yellow, stands out yet people still cut me off.

I'd tend to agree with you. Dad had a white one, then went to gen1 MPS3 then a gen2.

Other than the power increase that came with the MPS's the SP20 IMO is a better vehicle. Atleast they don't destroy rear tires in 25,000km like the 3's do(rear suspension is a joke).

A mates wife has an N16 pulsar, they can't fault it other than being pretty thirsty(12-13ltr/100km). Which is worse than his retuned VY SS ute.

What are the Proton satria GTI's worth these days? They have epic handling and the mitsubishi engines in them are quite punchy.

Stu.

i had an n15 pulsar with sr20, got it real cheap and it was a great little car. ac, ps all that gear. went pretty good on dirt too... if thats a consideration? my only problem was when the rear seats folded down there was only a little arch to the boot, so couldnt fit my pushy in it. oh and kangaroos... its ultimate demise