Si's 5kte Ke55

Taz_Rx

Say what?

Was only thinking to myself last night...."what's a bet I check my thread in the morning and Trev has made some sort of comment about K's and AGE's"! ;)

Teething probs mate, thats all it is. Everything in the engine bay is new and I have been driving the car a bit in the last week trying to fault find it.

At the end of the day, its >$100 to fix..........so what's yours gunna cost to fix Daim!!!? ;)

Ha, Yeah you guessed right, I was gonna POO stir you, It seems such a pity to have to take the engine apart when the engine bay looks that great.

EDIT: Someone has altered the word S H I T so when you write it it sez smeg.

Edited by Trev

Members dont see this ad

Not worried about that. Will look even better when its back together! ;) Just a good opprtunity for me to fix some other things.

I'll find the specs on the cam Darren. Or if KANGAROOSA reads this he might be able to post them for me. ;)

Pretty sure these are the cam spec Darren.....

Cam Lift - Int 296 Exh 297

Duration Adv - Int 291 Exh 296

Duration @050 - Int 238 Exh 238

Valve Clr 0.013 0.013

Valve Lift - Int 0.4305 Exh 0.432

Cam Lift tdc - Int 096 Exh 078

Phase<) Int 106

Timing Adv

Intake open 40.5 close 70.5

Exhaust open 74.5 close 41

Timing @050

Intake open15 Close 42.5

Exhaust Open 47.5 Close 10.5

Got the head off the other day. Life is sooo easy with the speedflow stuff now. Took all of about 45 to get it off, but you'll see why!!! :(

I had a small exhaust leak, which was progressively getting worse, few days after dyno its was starting to make a rattling sound that I was starting to think may have even been detonation! :D So I was thinking this may have had something to do with the head gasket going.

After getting the head off and closer inspection, it looks like the gasket was pretty well rooted befor the EFI stuff was even running. Couple of water holes in the gasket were quite rusted out (but these were the ones where theres a hole in the head, but not in the block or gasket), then once it had some boost in it was all over red rover!!! :(

The gasket was actually starting to get pushed out the manifold side of the head!!!

And as for the exhaust leak, once everything was removed I noticed 2x of the turbo intake flange bolts were loose, 1x had wound itself out 5mm, and 1x was missing all together!!! So I'm hoping this was all the rattling/detonation sound was, and also explains why I lost a bit of response! ;)

I'm quite dissapointed in myself for actually admitting that I think a major contributing factor to the head gasket rusting so badly, so quickly is that IIRC I have never put coolant in this motor combo!! :D

Couple of piccies.....

This is why I have basically no lag, as well as about another 20cm of silicone, this is the extent of my cooler piping!! Top pipe is obviously the intake.....

100_2062.jpg

And this is why the head came off quite quickly!!!! :D .....

100_2063.jpg

100_2065.jpg

Only thing I'm really waiting on now is Sheldon to send me this other flywheel. Got cash for clutch now and have ordered new speedflow stuff for the oil drain.

Won't be any dilly dally getting it back on the road. And our drags season start back up soon! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Old pics for Rundell:

Shows fuel line and throttle cable going through the bottom half of the air box.

Fuel hose uses a thread tube (is actually the adjuster part of a central locking pin switch) with nuts on either side to hold in place and seal it.

Also a pic of the custom bracket I made for the carby accelerator linkage.

100_0165.jpg

100_0164.jpg

Angle of cable was not ideal as you can see. but worked fine with a bit of lube (greese). This also sealed the cable and sheeth a bit better too.

Old pics for Rundell:

Shows fuel line and throttle cable going through the bottom half of the air box.

Fuel hose uses a thread tube (is actually the adjuster part of a central locking pin switch) with nuts on either side to hold in place and seal it.

Also a pic of the custom bracket I made for the carby accelerator linkage.

100_0165.jpg

100_0164.jpg

Angle of cable was not ideal as you can see. but worked fine with a bit of lube (greese). This also sealed the cable and sheeth a bit better too.

ahh cheers that helps. hopefully get it all going this weekend

Hey Taz, loving your work mate that whole set up looks great. I wanted to show you something i got off ebay a while ago, check it out I'm a big fan :) .

I bought the transfer off ebay a while ago and then ironed it on to a shirt, this is the only corolla transfer i've seen and it looks like they took a pic of you while you were out cruzin.

Enjoy :)

post-3596-1217597958_thumb.jpg

post-3596-1217598131_thumb.jpg