Your Corolla...likes And Dislikes

sammo

Where to start...

KE70's are widely reputed to be one of the most reliable and economical (to own) cars ever made. After owning and witnessing ownership of many different cars, I would say I have to agree. Treated with respect and maintained in good order, it can be very difficult to break one. Oh the stories I could tell... My current wagon has 340k kms and hasn't had the head off. It still tows a trailer with two motorbikes and a load of camping gear at 110km/h no worries and uses very little oil. To a lesser extent, this also applies to all early rollas, and this has been the basis of my passion for them since the start. Reliable, easy to fix, cheap parts, economical, different.

I have to say my current KE70's I love because they are both 5 speeds with air-con, they are economical and reliable and the 4K can be a quick little motor if you're like me and don't need a race/drift car as a daily driver. I love that they have intermittent wipers, better door seals, comfy seats, better handling and brakes than older corolla's and parts are cheap and plentiful. My wagon is great because i can drive it anywhere and have general disregard for things like paint, rust and dents...work car! The sedan is great because it slides easily, handles great and looks a treat!

Rust is indeed a problem for all us rolla owners, but there is worse out there....(gemini's, old holdens, datsuns etc).

After owning heaps of 4 speed rollas I hate them with a passion and could not go back unless it was a relatively unmodified classic. I don't like KE70 bumpers but you get used to them, (the wagon is great because the rear bumper also doubles as a seat, tool bench, ladder and handy reverse parking sensor when parking against trees or fences...)and I don't like slant front KE70's even though I own one...

As my first cars were mostly KE1x and KE2x rollas however, my love for these cars is about more than practicality.

I simply cannot go past the shape and lines of Australian KE11 2 doors, in my opinion one of the most beautiful body shapes ever produced for a production car. Everything looks like its meant to be there...a well engineered and well designed car straight from the production line which can be tastefully modified to look like any number of race/street weapons.

Of course one also has to love the attractive shapes of early and late KE20's, 26's, KE35's, KE36's, and quite franky I love the shape of my square headlight KE70 and wouldn't swap it for twin headlights if you paid me.

I could go on as I'm sure many of us could...sorry!

Go rolla's

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Where to start, from the top...

KE25

Pros.

Sporty styling, classic guages and interior

Cons.

Sluggish two speed auto and rust, lots of rust.

KE30

Pros.

A comfortable ride that is almost complete. Just add paint.

Cons.

Being a member of the Multi Coloured Car Club and the revs at 100km/h and up.

KE36

Pros.

Interior starting to take shape and a MASSIVE cargo area.

Cons.

Bog, bog and more bog. So far away from complete.

KE55P (Liftback)

Pros.

Loving the shape more and more. Such a sporty little car.

Cons.

Rust in a couple areas (fixable) and finding those rare parts.

KE55s

Pros.

A hot sporty little car with a great body.

Cons.

Progress is developing slowly.

Edited by JiP_01

My KE30~

pros.

Power to weight, 900ish kgs and 2lt turbo = fun

Brakes, i can't believe how it stops, from any speed, 200kmph plus to zero in crazy time.

cons.

It handles pretty crap, gotta look at that one day, swaybars might help....

and its always pulled to bits, rarely going.

My KE25~

pros.

The most unbelievably rust-free shell i could ever imagine, i had the whole lot to bare metal too.

The color of the paint, it took me 6 months to decide, but i think i made the right choice.

potential to handle.

cons.

Damn slow, like, really slow. mostly cos of the busted toyoglide.

KE55

Pro - I'm getting back to my grassroots (started out driving a ke30)

- I love the shape (but not as much as the ke25)

- The motor is piss load easier to work on then, say, the 4age (i really really hate the dissy. I really do)

Cons - Its still not on the road

- Never being able ( :hmm: allowed) to have the money to spend on it

- Doing pointless things on it to try and give me the feeling that its getting closer to being on the road (eg power windows and central locking)

- Its an auto

But i sure wouldn't mind having an AE82 again. Either the seca or maybe sedan, don't really go for the hatchback much (i need boot space). So that i can throw lots and lots of money at it for something a little left field

My wags:

Pros - You know what, I like it because its slow, and handles like crap. Its hilarious to wallow around through windy's and because its slow its just funny. Its great that that its a pushrod slant non crossflow four banger.

I love the fact that I am spending (in the scheme of things) bugger all money for a lumpy, twin carbied little donk that is going to still be slow!

The toyoglide is the funniest thing ever too.

The Backfires on Demand.

Cons - The nice dents in my door thanks to some old haggis that obviously uses her mirror to reverse out of her drive, instead of turning her damn head around.

The fumes. Still not fixed.....

dislikes the $132 fine for having oil on the block, wasnt dripping on the ground.

(sorry if there are coppers on this site) I am F&%^$ng Annoyed with coppers victimising.

I was pulled in for an rbt with other cars, i didnt even get tested. all that happened was i got asked to open the bonnet and get my license out

/Rant

Jake

dislikes the $132 fine for having oil on the block, wasnt dripping on the ground.

(sorry if there are coppers on this site) I am F&%^$ng Annoyed with coppers victimising.

I was pulled in for an rbt with other cars, i didnt even get tested. all that happened was i got asked to open the bonnet and get my license out

/Rant

Jake

Fight it dude, tell them you were on your way to Aquarious car wash or some shit to remove it in an environmentally friendly way :hmm:

I think it's pretty sus they pulled you in and didn't even test you.

Edit: ;)

I like my rolla cause it's just that little bit different from the norm and it will embarrass most try hard bogans in commodores /falcons

Dislike how long it spends at the mechanics, usually twice the expected time. Not having enough coin to fix the weak links and hence having to drive it like a pussy in fear of breaking something expensive. Also the body roll it gets under acceleration going in a straight line.......scary stuff.

That is all

Edited by HRV-00S

Pros: would have to say love the look and shape of the Ke55's and Ke30's, easy engine to work with cause of all the open space.

Cons: Unfortunately needs alot of modifications to get some real tough power out of it, and also that mine doesnt do keybangers :hmm:

but overall they are a great lil car for jus running around in, or even to have as a first project car..... like mine

Love my ke55 because you don't see many older cars on the road, the engine's a blast to do up and the body shape is awesome.

Hate the excessive amount of rust below the taillights, in the windscreens and wheelarches, on the a pillar....

They look really mean though!

love the way it handles, 140 round bradys look out corner only people in subaru's do that sorta stuff

reliable appart from when the startermotor cable has a break in it

hate the rusty arse end and a little more power wouldnt go a stray

Sorry Damon, you just got my f@$kwit of the week award for that. Ok, you have a death wish...but don't brag about it!!! ;)

Why I like K powered corollas:

Toyota reliability in well built car thats hard too break.

Perfect first car.

Yes they are a bit underpowered in stock or mild mod form. But this means they can be driven at 11/10 without biting back.

Mechanically very simple, so easy to diagnose and fix problems yourself. Again a good 1st cut for somebody who wants to cut there teeth as a backyard mechanic.

Reasonably cheap and readily available parts...although this is changing a bit lately as mentioned above.

Bag for buck - they'll beat a 4age any day of the week. :hmm:

Sorry Damon, you just got my f@$kwit of the week award for that. Ok, you have a death wish...but don't brag about it!!! ;)

post-1432-1210321715.gif

Bag for buck - they'll beat a 4age any day of the week. :hmm:

And their a crap load easier to work