"dodgy" Mods Youve Done To Your Car

cutting slots in my brake hose holder on my struts so i didnt need to undo the brake hose (bleed brakes) when removing struts

Dude, EVERYBODY does that! Mine are that bad now that I've actually broken one clean off because it's been bent back and forth so much!

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did a bit of a dodgy the other day, was changing the pads on Cara's ST162 when I noticed something dripping on the driveway.....wasn't oil, wasn't coolant, wasn't power-steering fluid, wasn't water.....Oh F**K it's brake fluid.

Turns out the previous owner had topped up the fluid even though the level was just low because of the pad wear, so when I reset the pistons it overflowed. Seeing as how I didn't have a syringe or brake-bleeding kit handy, I figured the easiest way to get the excess out of the system was to simply push both front pistons in as far as they could go (even further than necessary to get them around the new pads) so that the excess would overflow and leave me with a normal level once the system was primed again. So once both calipers were back on, was pleased to note that the level had dropped a bit, so put the cap back on and then proceeded to flush the whole area with several litres of water (brake fluid not exactly being the best thing to leave lying around on wiring and paint). Started the car, and the brake pedal goes straight to the floor :hmm: excellent, that should prime the system and suck the level down a bit more, so pumped the pedal a bit more until pressure came back and lo-and-behold, the level in the reservoir had dropped back to normal :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

not sure if this is on here but I'm a train driver from here to adelaide so i travel alot. drive train there then drive ca home. jus the other side of broken hill there is an aboriginal mission (housing for black fellas) about 5 k's outa town and they were pushing an old vb commodore toward town so i said want help they said yeah just tow us to town we will fix it when we get there so tow rope on pulled then to town. unhooked then went and had some lunch walked back past the abbo's car had a look through the grill and lo and behold the was nothing there no radiator no engine turns out they had been doing that for months, getting the friendly passerbys to town them around

wapped my battery cable in aluminum foil and a coke can so it doesnt get burn by the exhaust thats 1cm away (battery in boot), drove to work didnt smell no plastic no nothing very pleased with my self :jamie:,

using a dipstick to undo a screw at the wrecking yard because i left my screwdriver at home :D

wapped my battery cable in aluminum foil and a coke can so it doesnt get burn by the exhaust thats 1cm away (battery in boot), drove to work didnt smell no plastic no nothing very pleased with my self :D,

using a dipstick to undo a screw at the wrecking yard because i left my screwdriver at home :D

Why would you go to the trouble of doing the old battery into boot then run the cables so close to your exhaust.

I've done 1 or 2 conversions and the cables to even need to go ANYWHERE near the exhaust. :jamie:

Hell, even in a KE1x the cables didnt even need to be exposed to the underbody until the engine bay.

Ke35: used Gaffa tape to fix top radiator hose .

82 Cameria : kinda broke the rear hinges on the door, spot welded the door.

and welded passenger seat as the back adjust was broken,

RA64 Celica: had a cracked piston and was getting allot of back pressure out of the top of the engine mainly smoke, and allot of it, So a hose Gaffa, and a 1.25 coke bottle stuffed with cotton wool as a filter.

the good old rope as an accelerator cable into the cab Mitsi Express van.

Patrol: thermostat housing had rotted away rebuilt the housing with a hacksaw blade and plastic metal stuff.

Fixed the sump of a Mini with supa glue, a strip of metal and roofing tech screws,

one of my dads from Rallying was; broke the steering control arm on the last day of the an event we had a metal tow rope and a welder.........

Same event all of the front panels were fiber glass and were smashed we were in Sydney for the event and we living in Perth, so all of the front of the car was rebuilt with tape and sponsor stickers.

I think that is enough, it got to the point where I was not allowed to own Gaffa tape as I wouldn't properly fix anything while I had it.

Why would you go to the trouble of doing the old battery into boot then run the cables so close to your exhaust.

I've done 1 or 2 conversions and the cables to even need to go ANYWHERE near the exhaust. :jamie:

Hell, even in a KE1x the cables didnt even need to be exposed to the underbody until the engine bay.

well i got the relocation kit and a 870cca battery for free,

it runs along the inside of the car and goes to the top right of the passanger footwell, goes under the exhaust and straight to the starter

Edited by Evan G

I like this one,

this is a where do I start topic.....

those pesky seals on the fire wall letting in air...my friend the beer box fixes that

power steering leaking? A cap of brake fluid every month will swell the seals...

idle jet blocked? cross the leads and back fire the motor. will keep the shit out for a while....

bores glazed? bon ami (like ajax but less course) down the carby. will rough it up enough before a sale,

oil leaks b4 RWC. down to the local car wash with axle stands and jack. Wash the f@$k otta every thing (including shocks)..

rear wheel cyls leaking? just clamp off the hose...

tail lights blowing a fuse? run a wire from the headlights to the back....

jeez I can keep going.

moral of the story

DO NOT BUY A CAR FROM ME

I think that is enough, it got to the point where I was not allowed to own Gaffa tape as I wouldn't properly fix anything while I had it.

Me thinks you should change your name to "GaffaKE25"

oil leaks b4 RWC. down to the local car wash with axle stands and jack. Wash the f@$k otta every thing (including shocks)..

When i went to get my first car roadied the guy that did it failed me on oil leaks and thats the very same thing he told me to do. Head down to Car Lovers and hit the engine bay with the pressure hose and bring the car back...

Mate of mine was driving around noosa one time and the little rubber mount thing that connects the steering shaft to the steering box broke apart so he used a towel and a length of rope to tie the two together - 80 turns lock to lock.

About the only dodgy mod i've done is the right hand mirror on my old t-18 copped a wack one time - the spring managed to get broken and the glass fell out. So i used one of those $2 vanity mirror specials, super glue or something that never worked so a few zip ties did the job. Till the car hit over 60 kays and the mirror would fold back, aerodynamic reasons - it made the car faster but cause the car would pull to the left i'd tell people thats cause the left mirrors pulling the car to that side since it doesn't fold back.

Me thinks you should change your name to "GaffaKE25"

When i went to get my first car roadied the guy that did it failed me on oil leaks and thats the very same thing he told me to do. Head down to Car Lovers and hit the engine bay with the pressure hose and bring the car back...

Mate of mine was driving around noosa one time and the little rubber mount thing that connects the steering shaft to the steering box broke apart so he used a towel and a length of rope to tie the two together - 80 turns lock to lock.

About the only dodgy mod i've done is the right hand mirror on my old t-18 copped a wack one time - the spring managed to get broken and the glass fell out. So i used one of those $2 vanity mirror specials, super glue or something that never worked so a few zip ties did the job. Till the car hit over 60 kays and the mirror would fold back, aerodynamic reasons - it made the car faster but cause the car would pull to the left i'd tell people thats cause the left mirrors pulling the car to that side since it doesn't fold back.

ooooh,

made me laugh.

araldite the mirror in one possy. means a lot of leaning forward.

front number plate on zip ties so speed cameras can't read it!! Swing forward at speed At a stand still cops would never know!!!!!

please don't start me.....it'll never end

Well if you want to class a number plate as dodgy then the old one on my turtle had been repainted with house paint from what i could figure.

The front number plate on my last car i bent into a concave shape more so cause i had a pair of spotties next to it. Got pulled over by the transport department for a few things but got left off with a warning and one of the warnings was that the shape of the number plate and/but more so the position of the spotties would block a speed camera reading so i moved the plate and gave it a bit more of a flexing on the ends. Thank you Mr RTA for that little tip :D

He also had a go at the spotties i had on the back of the car. They had to be wired into the reversing lights or switch. I could have a toggle switch wired in as well so i could turn them on/off as needed :jamie: